1-2-3 Magic is a highly acclaimed evidenced based parenting program for parents of children aged 2-12.
Next 1-2-3 Magic Parent Group:
If you would like to schedule Joseph to run a 1-2-3 Magic parent program in your community, please contact him direct.
If you would like to participate in a 1-2-3 Magic program run by Joseph, or invite him to your school or organisation to facilitate this program, please call him directly on 0410 549 179.
Program content and components:
The three sessions of the program cover the following topics:
- The course philosophy, in which parents are familiarised with the two main aims of the program: to increase children’s ability to self manage, and to provide parents skills to take action in difficult-to-manage parenting situations
- Contemporary thinking in child development with a particular emphasis on the differences between adult and children’s cognitive abilities
- Clear thinking strategies for helping parents to sort between different types of behaviour
- The two most common mistakes of parenting – too much to talk and too much emotion
- Processes of pattern-establishment and pattern change including, how negative reinforcement works, the characteristics of patterns, the parent as participant observer, and how to interrupt patterns and extinction bursts
- Response flexibility in parents and carers – knowing how to avoid getting ‘hooked’ by children’s negative emotions
- How to choose the best strategy – Do nothing, listen or act?
- The 1-2-3 Magic technique:
o what it is, and is not, used for
o how it’s done properly
o how to implement it at home
o how to avoid the two biggest mistakes of parenting
- Developing response flexibility in children:
o response flexibility in the brain: What’s new?
o emotion coaching
o cognitive strategies parents can teach children
- Tactics to help kids start doing certain behaviours (brushing teeth, doing homework and so on).