Since 2002, Joseph has worked within both mainstream and special schools as a school counsellor, and since 2010, has directed the counselling services at a large school in Sydney. He regularly presents training and professional development to teachers as well as information seminars for parents. He has taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and regularly runs community talks and workshops for parents and professionals working with young people. Joseph is also available for consultation about all aspects to do with student mental health and wellbeing:
Services for Schools:
Professional development workshops for teachers:
- Youth Mental Health First Aid (2 day training);
- Managing mood disorders in the classroom;
- Managing anxiety in the classroom;
- Managing students at risk of self-harm: tips for teachers;
- An introduction to counselling: skills for teachers;
- Simple strategies for classroom behaviour management;
- Understanding a child’s needs in the primary classroom – emotional regulation, relationships and reinforcement;
- Attachment theory: a deeper understanding of the dynamics of the teacher:student relationship;
- Social Media, technology and other cyber issues in 2013: Current information for teachers and parents.
If there are other specific topics that you would like Joseph to present at your school, please contact him directly to discuss this further.
Seminars for Parents:
Joseph has extensive experience running parenting programs and information seminars within schools. In 2007 Joseph, along with Chirstine Langridge, co-authored Parenting in Practice, a short, practical book for parents of teenagers. It has sold over 6000 copies, and is available from the John Berne School.
Some examples of parent seminars Joseph has run:
- Brainy parenting: Supporting your child’s social and emotional development in the preschool and early primary years.
- Daily Dilemmas in raising Pre-schoolers
- Parenting teens: practical tips and strategies for everyday parents.
- Teenagers: where did my little kid go? An exploration of adolescent development
Joseph is also an accredited facilitator of 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching, and is available to present this program over 3 sessions to your school community.
If you would like Joseph to speak to staff or parents on other topics, please contact him directly to discuss further.
For fees associated with these services, please enquire directly with Joseph.
Supervision for Psychologists, Counsellors and other Mental Health Workers:
Joseph has an interest in providing supervision for early career psychologists and counsellors. He can also provide supervision for more experienced clinicians who want to develop their skills in working with young people.
REMOTE SUPERVISION VIA SKYPE IS ALSO AVAILABLE.
Supervision of Provisional Psychologists
For those seeking registration as a psychologist through AHPRA, Joseph is an accredited supervisor for both the 5+1 and the 4+2 psychologists internship programs. He is available to supervise provisional psychologists as either a primary or secondary supervisor.