All services are provided within a respectful, ethical and confidential environment. Joseph is experienced in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which is considered the ‘gold-standard’ treatment for most psychological problems.
Joseph has experience working with adults who have difficulties with:
- Generalised anxiety disorder (excessive worry), phobias, panic attacks, social anxiety;
- Grief, loss and bereavement;
- Life skills (assertiveness skills, self-esteem, communication skills);
- Adjusting to change, separation/divorce and/or health issues;
- Men’s issues.
Children and Young people—
Joseph has extensive experience working with children, adolescents and their parents. Childhood and adolescence are very special developmental time periods, characterised by much change and growth – physically, psychologically, and socially. It can be a confusing and confronting time for both children and their parents. Due to these special developmental issues, psychological therapy with children (0-12) will usually involve more work with parents. This may seem counter-intuitive to some parents. It is not to say that parents are the cause of their child’s problems, but rather that parents are the ones who know their children the best, and are the ones who can usually help them the most. This is reflected very strongly in the scientific literature that explores effective treatment of childhood problems. Joseph works with parents to help them understand their child’s behaviours, as well as teaching them the psychological tools and strategies to assist their children develop skills to manage those issues. When working with adolescence, Joseph likes to work cooperatively with parents, while also being respectful of the young persons rights to confidentiality. Joseph can help with:
- Depression and other mood difficulties;
- Anxiety, phobias, exam stress, panic attacks, separation anxiety, social anxiety;
- Self-harm and suicidal ideation;
- School refusal;
- Adolescent issues;
- Adjustment to divorce/separation;
- Anger management and emotional regulation;
- Sleeping difficulties;
- Social skills;
- Grief and coping with death.
Joseph has a special interest in consulting with parents. As well as having co-authored a book for parents, Joseph also regularly facilitates parenting programs and is often invited to talk to groups of parents. Having 5 children of his own, he has a real understanding of the many challenges that go along with raising children in todays world.